Thursday, May 19, 2011

There's Nothing Like a Good Play

The semester finally ended and I find myself with some spare time. I love it because it means I can catch up with the list of plays I want to read! I just finished re-reading No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre. If you haven't read it, please go find it now. Sartre is an existentialist novelist and philosopher. I am not an existentialist but I love to research it and read the plays. No Exit is one of my favorites. It paints an interesting picture of hell with three characters. None of them knew each other in life, but the fates have decided to put these three soles together. And together they put each other through hell. It raises questions about life and death that you may or may not be able to answer. The thing I love most about existentialism is it does make you think. It makes you analyze not only the literature, but yourself as well. Go read this play!

Another good read, if you want to check absurd-ism or existentialism out, is The Play About the Baby by Edward Albee, or anything by Albee. Stick with it. It gets confusing, but the messages are excellent!

So go to the library or the nearest book shop and pick up some plays. They really are amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment