Monday, December 20, 2010

The Sheer Brilliance Music Is

I found myself lost in music today.

There are days when I need to listen to good musical theatre. But these days aren't me turning on my iPod and doing something else. These days are when I truly sit and listen. I let the music and the voices take me to another place entirely.  It sounds cliche, but it really does. When I let the music envelope me, I feel like new breath and life went into me. This simple joy is what reminds me why I have to do theatre.

I was reminded today of the musical The Light In The Piazza. I turned it on my computer and listened. This musical always has that effect on me. The first time I saw it, I was swept off my feet. The music and emotion was incredibly intense. I can hardly breath when I listen to the orchestration of the pieces. I forget to almost because the music is so enticing. I have to be honest. The story line is a bit weak to this musical, however the music completely makes up for it. I saw this show in Chicago a few years ago. The actors seemed tired during the performance, but when they hit their emotional songs, I fell in love. I have to see this show again.

I am now listening to Next to Normal. I had the wonderful opportunity to see this show on Broadway with the fabulous Alice Ripley. Can we say absolutely STUNNING!? This musical has it all: a strong story line, beautiful music, and amazing emotional journeys.  Everything sweeps you away and you end up as a crying mess at the end of the show. Alice Ripley is brilliant, as well as the rest of the cast. I have to see this show again.

It's days like these that I remember why. I remember why I love music and musical theatre and why I want to do this for the rest of my life. This is what keeps me going everyday. This is what I have to do.

Go listen to something today. Really listen and let yourself be taken away to another world entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment