Wow. It has been forever since I've let you know whats happened. Well, Into the Woods closed shortly before Thanksgiving. What an experience! It was probably one of the best theatrical experiences I've ever had. As I mentioned earlier, everything was blue. This included ALL of my hair. I loved it. The blue colors in the costumes, sets, and people were wonderfully mystical and tied the show together.
The whole process was amazing to watch and be a part of. My character was incredible to work through and discover her quirks and desires. The Baker's Wife loves her husband and wants a child in the first act. I went through immeasurable lengths to get what I wanted. "If you know what you want, then you go, and you find it, and you get it." That line in the show is what I live my life by now. It's so perfect and it describes me perfectly right now. In the second act, I got what I wanted but somehow things aren't as perfect as I envisioned. My husband won't help with the baby and our fights became worse. I think that's what ultimately leads to me cheating on him with Cinderella's Prince. That was a part of my character that I struggled with. I couldn't understand it. I can't understand cheating and it took me a long time to find excuses for her. I had to focus on the fights with my husband and the fantasy I've always had with the Prince. My song after the Prince leaves, "Moments in the Woods", explains how it meant nothing and I planned on going back to the Baker and my child. However, I don't get that chance. The giant squashes me like a bug right after my last note.What I love about Sondheim's Into the Woods is how true to human nature his shows are. Into the Woods, while telling fairy tales, shows how true and humanistic all the characters are. It has become one of my favorite shows. I hope I get the chance to do it again.
But of course, with the closing of this curtain, Beauty and the Beast begins. On tech weekend of Into the Woods, I held Beauty and the Beast auditions. I cast my show and now I am in the process of scheduling my rehearsals. I have two and a half weeks to rehearse and then the show goes up. It's crazy and it will be stressful but I am so excited. My cast is already amazing and they are going to do great things. I will blog about my directing experience more as the process picks up!
Life is going by in a whirl. As for grad schools and professional work, I will graduate in December of 2011. I am auditioning for grad schools next year and I will audition at Midwest in February! I'll post about that soon too!
Have a very Merry and Theatrical Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment