I have always known that I love theatre and wanted to pursue it as a career. This semester, I found an aspect of theatre that I had never truly explored. I took a directing course and loved it. The class had 8 students and we were all given different scenes from the play "Fat Pig" by Neil LaBute. (Side note: It is an excellent play and an excellent playwright. Check it out! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_Pig) Through the class, we had to research, cast, and direct our scenes. This process started at the middle of the semester and I loved it.
First of all, I loved my cast. I had Jody Fleming, Rebekah Davis, and Ben Hawkins. They were all fabulous and worked hard to learn the lines and delve into the character analysis. Jody played Carter, Rebekah played Jeannie, and Ben played Tom. Each one really understood the play and who they were playing. The final showing was amazing because of them.
A part of this class was putting together a binder filled with all the research, blocking, and analysis. This book was stressful but exceptionally helpful. If you ever have any questions about "Fat Pig", just ask.
The final of this class was to put on the entire play. Each director set up their scene in order of the play. It was so interesting to see the other interpretations of the same script and to see the actors in the different roles.
I think my favorite part of the entire process was employing my own creative ideas. My concept for the show was the hypocrisy of our stereotypes. This helped me with my ideas of blocking and how I wanted the characters to interact with each other. My cast really took this concept and ran with it. I loved the way it looked on stage and what message it sent to the audience.
Because of this class, I want to pursue the directing field. I am going to direct a musical in January 2011 and cannot wait to start that process.
I do not know yet if I want to give up acting completely. I love that part of theatre too...
Who knows?
No comments:
Post a Comment